Fees & Insurance
Student Health Fee
All students enrolled in more than four credit hours pay the mandatory health fee each semester ($98.00 for Fall 2012 and Spring 2013). The health fee enables the availability of high quality and accessible health care to the ISU student community by helping support the overall costs of the health center. The health fee is not health insurance.
The Thielen Student Health Center receives no funding from the state of Iowa and relies on the health fee for approximately 50% of its operating budget. The remainder of the funding needed to operate the health center comes from charges for medical services and procedures, medications, x-rays, and lab tests.
The health fee helps provide services at a reasonable cost, examples include:
- Routine visits with physicians and nurse practitioners
- Physical exams
- Public health screenings
- Psychiatric services
- Orthopedic surgeon services
- Laboratory services
- X-ray services
- Physical therapy services
- Pharmacy services
The health fee also supports:
- 24-hour accessibility to a registered nurse for health information and advice
- public health information and education
- educational programs to residence halls, clubs, fraternities, sororities, etc. on high-risk drinking and sexual misconduct prevention
- the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC), which bridges communication between the health center and the student community. SHAC meets regularly and works to engage campus partners and foster conversations about health among students.
- Student Health is not a Medicare provider, and therefore, are not able to see patients with Medicare insurance.
- Please check with your insurance provider ahead of time to ensure they will cover Student Health charges.
- Be sure your current health insurance information is on file with the health center, so that charges will be billed properly.
- If you have health insurance, it will be billed for any charges first. Any charges that are not covered by your insurance company will be transferred to your u-bil.